We will be observing classrooms in many schools as well as visiting local businesses to get a glimpse of how their schools and businesses run compared to ours in America.
We'll get to see cultural shows including a bamboo show, Ramayana ballet, and Kecak dance. And we'll be eating at local restaurants for our meals, which, as a picky eater makes me a bit nervous, but I'm preparing myself to get adventurous and try some new food!
There are many customs we're not used to, and will need to keep in mind, specifically:
- Do not use your left hand to pass things to another person.
- Do not raise your feet on tables or chairs, and tables are also not for sitting on.
- Be aware never to point at anything with your feet.
- When talking with elderly local people, pointing with the forefinger is impolite. Please use your thumb (twisted to hand open).
- When entering someone's house please remove your shoes at the door.
- Hands on your waist is considered snobby/impolite, especially when you are talking with elderly local people.